[Fifth Avenue by Arthur Bartlett Maurice]@TWC D-Link book
Fifth Avenue

CHAPTER XVI
21/27

The State finally conveyed the grounds in 1814 to Columbia College, and this property, part of which the College still holds, has largely contributed to the wealth of the great University." But to revert to the churches.

The Heavenly Rest is noted for its fine wood carvings and its stained glass windows.

In the tower of the Collegiate Church of St.Nicholas hangs a bell, cast in Amsterdam in 1731, which for years hung in the Middle Dutch Church in Nassau Street.
While the British held New York the bell was taken down and secreted.
When the Middle Dutch Church became the Post Office in 1845 the bell was removed, first to the Ninth Street Church, then to the Lafayette Place Church, and later to its present location.

The crocketed spire of the Church of St.Nicholas is two hundred and seventy feet high.

Within the edifice is a tablet to the soldiers and sailors of the Revolution, placed by the Daughters of the Revolution, and oil portraits of all the ministers of the church from Dominie Du Bois, who, in 1699, preached in the old Church in the Fort.
[Illustration: "O BEAUTIFUL, LONG, LOVED AVENUE, SO FAITHLESS TO TRUTH AND YET SO TRUE"-- JOAQUIN MILLER] Then St.Patrick's Cathedral.


<<Back  Index  Next>>

D-Link book Top

TWC mobile books