[Fifth Avenue by Arthur Bartlett Maurice]@TWC D-Link book
Fifth Avenue

CHAPTER XVI
24/27

In 1867 the present site was secured, and the brown-stone edifice of the early seventies, designed by Richard Upjohn, was for nearly two generations the ultra-fashionable Episcopal church of the city.

In 1905 it was destroyed by fire, and with it, in the flames, perished its artistic contents, among them the decorations made by John La Farge and Augustus Saint Gaudens.

For six months the congregation was without a home.

Then a wooden structure was erected and the new church was built without interfering with the services during the following years.
Designed by Ralph Adams Cram, the present St.Thomas's is of white limestone from Kentucky.

The left entrance, which is surmounted with a garland of Gothic foliage composed of orange blossoms, is the Bride's Door.


<<Back  Index  Next>>

D-Link book Top

TWC mobile books