[Fifth Avenue by Arthur Bartlett Maurice]@TWC D-Link book
Fifth Avenue

CHAPTER XVI
8/27

The police were routed, and a squad of soldiers sent to their aid disarmed and badly beaten.

Then the mob ranged, pillaging the house of William Turner on Lexington Avenue, firing the Bull's Head Hotel at Forty-fourth Street, and the Croton Cottage opposite the Reservoir, plundering the Provost Marshal's office at 1148 Broadway, and destroying an arms factory at Seventh Avenue and Twenty-first Street.

Then some one in the mob cried out that the war was being fought on account of the negroes and the rioters started in the direction of the Asylum.

When they reached the spot they found an empty building, for the alarm had been given and the children taken to the Police Station and later conducted under guard to the Almshouse on Blackwell's Island.

But the structure they destroyed, and when they came upon a coloured man in the neighbourhood they hanged him to the nearest tree or lamp-post.
During the riot the draft-rioters made their headquarters at the Willow Tree Inn, which stood near the south-east corner of Fifth Avenue and Forty-fourth Street, and which at one time was run by Tom Hyer, of prize-ring fame.


<<Back  Index  Next>>

D-Link book Top

TWC mobile books