[Fifth Avenue by Arthur Bartlett Maurice]@TWC D-Link book
Fifth Avenue

CHAPTER XVII
5/17

The cornerstone of the present St.Luke's was laid May 6, 1893.
"Marble Row" was the name given for years to the block on the east side of the Avenue between Fifty-seventh and Fifty-eighth Streets.

John Mason, at one time president of the Chemical National Bank, bought the land from the city in 1825 for fifteen hundred dollars.

Mason was another of the early New Yorkers who foresaw the future possibilities of the real estate of the island.

Buying mostly from the Common Lands of the City, he purchased sixteen blocks from Park to Fifth Avenue, and from Fifty-fourth to Sixty-third Street.

When he died, in 1839, he left a will cutting off with small annuities both his son James Mason, who had married Emma Wheatley, a member of the famous Stock Company of the old Park Theatre, the favourite "Desdemona," "Julia," "Mrs.Heller" of her day; and his daughter Helen, who had also married against his wishes.


<<Back  Index  Next>>

D-Link book Top

TWC mobile books