[Highways & Byways in Sussex by E.V. Lucas]@TWC D-Link book
Highways & Byways in Sussex

CHAPTER IX
2/8

The castle is the extreme western end of this ridge, the north side of which descends precipitously to the marshy plain that extends as far as Pulborough.
Standing on the castle one sees Pulborough church due north--height calling unto height.

The castle is now a farm; indeed, all Amberley is a huge stockyard, smelling of straw and cattle.

It is sheer Sussex--chalky soil, whitewashed cottages, huge waggons; and one of the best of Sussex painters, and, in his exquisite modest way, of all painters living, dwells in the heart of it--Edward Stott, who year after year shows London connoisseurs how the clear skin of the Sussex boy takes the evening light; and how the Southdown sheep drink at hill ponds beneath a violet sky; and that there is nothing more beautiful under the stars than a whitewashed cottage just when the lamp is lit.
[Sidenote: AMBERLEY AND PARHAM] Amberley has no right to lay claim to a castle, for the old ruins are not truly, as they seem, the remains of a castellated stronghold, but of a crenellated mansion.

John Langton, Bishop of Chichester in the fourteenth century, was the first builder.

Previously the Church lands here had been held very jealously, and in 1200 we find Bishop Gilbert de Leofard twice excommunicating, and as often absolving, the Earl of Arundel for poaching (as he termed it) in Houghton Forest.


<<Back  Index  Next>>

D-Link book Top

TWC mobile books