[History of Phoenicia by George Rawlinson]@TWC D-Link book
History of Phoenicia

CHAPTER XIV--POLITICAL HISTORY
22/170

Under his special direction were cast in the valley of the Jordan, between Succoth and Zarthan,[1473] those wonderful pillars, known as Jachin and Boaz, which have already been described, and which seem to have had their counterparts in the sacred edifices both of Phoenicia and Cyprus.[1474] To him also is specially ascribed the "molten sea," standing on twelve oxen,[1475] which was perhaps the most artistic of all the objects placed within the Temple circuit, as are also the lavers upon wheels,[1476] which, if less striking as works of art, were even more curious.
The partnership established between the two kingdoms in connection with the building and furnishing of the Jewish Temple, which lasted for seven years,[1477] was further continued for thirteen more[1478] in connection with the construction of Solomon's palace.

This palace, like an Assyrian one, consisted of several distinct edifices.

"The chief was a long hall which, like the Temple, was encased in cedar; whence probably its name, 'The House of the Forest of Lebanon.' In front of it ran a pillared portico.

Between this portico and the palace itself was a cedar porch, sometimes called the Tower of David.

In this tower, apparently hung over the walls outside, were a thousand golden shields, which gave to the whole place the name of the Armoury.


<<Back  Index  Next>>

D-Link book Top

TWC mobile books